California has been in a severe drought for a while now. Every day we hear about how dire our situation is here in the golden state. Conserving water should not just be a necessity we do during drought, but a lifestyle. Just small changes to our everyday life can make a huge difference to conserve water. Here are ten tips to conserve water.
- Check for LeaksThe first step to conserve water is to check for leaks. A leaky faucet can waste up to 20 gallons of water per day! Consider the annual toll of just one leaky faucet! Not to mention the toll it takes on your monthly water bill!
- Replace Old Faucets and ShowerheadsThe next step to conserve water is to replace old faucets and showerheads with new more efficient models. Many new faucets and showerheads are designed to use less water without sacrificing pressure. Replacing old faucets and showerheads will not only help you conserve water but also give your bathroom a modern update.
- Replace Old ToiletsOld toilets can be a huge waste of water. Some old toilets could waste up to 7 gallons of water or more per flush! Conserve water by replacing old wasteful toilets with more efficient ones. Many newer more efficient toilets use as little as half a gallon per flush! Think about what a difference you could make!
- Run Appliance with Full LoadsWhen running the dishwasher or washing machine make sure you always run them when they are full. This will not only help conserve water but also save you money on your utilities.
- Run Sprinklers on a TimerBy putting your sprinklers on a timer you can conserve water two ways: 1) you can conserve water by only watering for a specified amount of time and 2) you can set your timer in the early am or pm when the sun is less likely to cause evaporation allowing the water to absorb into the ground better, so you don’t have to water as much or as often.
- Choose Plants that Need Less WaterWhen landscaping, choose plants that require less water. By selecting plants that don’t need to be watered as often you can conserve water without sacrificing design.
- Ground CoverUse ground cover like wood chips in planters. This will help absorb that water so you don’t have to water as often and can conserve water. This also helps prevent dust.
- Use a BroomInstead of using a hose to clean up the yard, use a broom to conserve water. This method will give you a little better workout as well, two birds one stone!
- Cover Your PoolIf you have a pool use a pool cover to help eliminate evaporation. This will help you conserve water and as an added bonus depending on your pool cover can help heat your pool a little.
- Take Your Car to the Car WashWe are all for forgoing the car wash all together but if you must wash your car take your car the car wash instead of washing it yourself. Car washes are designed to recycle the water they use to conserve water.
By employing these simple changes to your daily routine you could conserve water. Everybody needs to do their part! At Courtesy Plumbing we take the drought very seriously. Contact us to inspect your plumbing system to help you conserve water today!