Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because unlike natural gas, it has no smell. In addition, it also has no taste and no color, making it difficult to detect. This makes carbon monoxide a very dangerous gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of fuel, such as natural gas, gasoline, coal, and wood. Exposure to this hazardous waste that can cause sickness and even death. To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning it is important to take the proper precautions to protect yourself and your family.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide in Your Home
There are several possible sources of carbon monoxide in your home. Heating systems, gas using appliances, and even your car. The emittance of carbon monoxide can be the result of poor ventilation, damage to the appliance or heating system, or improper burning of fuel.
The Effect of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide can make people very sick. The scariest part about it is that there is no warning because it is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. You could be breathing in carbon monoxide and never know it. When carbon monoxide is inhaled, it displaces the oxygen from the bloodstream. This deprives the bodies vital organs of oxygen, which leads to the shut down of the heart, brain, and other vital organs. Low exposure to carbon monoxide can cause:
- mental confusion
Prolonged exposure can cause neurological damage, and high exposure can lead to death.
What Should You Do?
When carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, it is important to get fresh air immediately. Afterward, you should go to the emergency room. It will be important to pinpoint where the carbon monoxide is coming from to make the necessary repairs. Your home should be inspected by a professional to ensure that all your gas using appliances are in good condition and free of wear and tear. Regular maintenance on appliances, water heaters, and heating systems is important. You will also want to make sure your home has good ventilation and that appliances and heaters are properly installed. Installing carbon monoxide detectors can also be helpful, however, it is important to change the batteries at least once a year to make sure they are functioning properly.
For more home maintenance tips contact Courtesy Plumbing today!